Priest Sex Abuse Charge
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A defrocked Philadelphia priest has pleaded guilty to a sex-abuse charge days before a landmark priest abuse trial.
Sixty-nine-year-old Edward Avery pleaded guilty Thursday to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and conspiracy to endanger the welfare of a child.
He was immediately sentenced to 2½ to five years in prison and was ordered to surrender within 10 days.
The charge stems from Avery's abuse of a boy at St. Jerome's Parish in northeast Philadelphia.
Two other church officials will still go on trial. One is Monsignor William Lynn, the first U.S. church official ever charged with endangering children for allegedly failing to oust accused predators from the priesthood.
- Priest Abuse Trial
- Vice Principal Charged for Having Sex with Students
- Priest Becomes Dad
- Marion County Sex Abuse Case
- Sexual Abuse Survivor, Visits Center for Sex Offenders
- Employees Charged With Abusing The Mentally Disabled
- Two Men Charged with Abusing, Neglecting Their Mother
- Two Men Charged with Abusing Elderly Mother
- Unicycle Teacher Behind Bars on Sex Charges
- Alachua Police Employee Arrested on Sex Charges