Priest Sex Abuse Charge
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A defrocked Philadelphia priest has pleaded guilty to a sex-abuse charge days before a landmark priest abuse trial.
Sixty-nine-year-old Edward Avery pleaded guilty Thursday to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and conspiracy to endanger the welfare of a child.
He was immediately sentenced to 2½ to five years in prison and was ordered to surrender within 10 days.
The charge stems from Avery's abuse of a boy at St. Jerome's Parish in northeast Philadelphia.
Two other church officials will still go on trial. One is Monsignor William Lynn, the first U.S. church official ever charged with endangering children for allegedly failing to oust accused predators from the priesthood.
- Priest Abuse Trial
- Vice Principal Charged for Having Sex with Students
- US Army General Pleads Not Guilty to Sex Charges
- Priest Becomes Dad
- Sexual Abuse Survivor, Visits Center for Sex Offenders
- Marion County Sex Abuse Case
- Alachua Police Employee Arrested on Sex Charges
- Sex Offender Arrested on New Rape Charges
- Silver Springs Man Charged In Missouri Sex Ring
- Gator Swim Club Coach Faces Child Sex Charges