At Least 7 Dead in Shooting at Religious University in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. AP —A suspect was detained Monday in a shooting attack at an Oakland Christian university that sources said has left at least seven people dead and three others injured.
Meanwhile, police said a suspect was detained in the attack at Oikos University.
Officer Johnna Watson did not give any other details about the arrest.
"I can confirm that we do have one person who has been detained that we believe is possibly responsible for this shooting," Watson said.
Earlier, television news footage showed officers surrounding the building in search of the suspect. The footage also showed wounded people being carried out of the building, and more gurneys were being brought in.
"One of the people who was inside the building, she was saying there is a crazy guy inside," witness Brian Snow told KGO-TV. "She did say someone got shot in the chest right next to her before she got taken off in an ambulance."
According of its website, Oikos University offers studies in theology, music, nursing and Asian medicine.
- Police: California Suspect Looked for Administrator
- At Least Nine Dead in Midwest Storms
- At Least 12 Dead in Midwest Storms
- At Least 3 Dead in Flooding in Colorado
- Religious Groups Come Together After Deadly Afghanistan Protests
- 6-vehicle Crash Leaves at Least One Person Dead
- Suspect in Auburn Shooting Turns Himself In
- Deadly shooting at Umpqua Community College
- Gunfire Leaves Two Dead, Seven Wounded in Pittsburgh Clinic Shooting
- 5 dead, 5 injured In Santa Monica Shooting