NFL Star Apparently Commits Suicide
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (AP) - Police in Oceanside, Calif., say the death of former NFL star Junior Seau appears to be a suicide.
Seau, who was 43, was found shot to death at his home today. Police say his girlfriend reported finding him unconscious with a gunshot wound to the chest. A gun was found nearby.
His mother, Luisa Seau, was weeping uncontrollably as she appeared before reporters. She said, "I don't understand." She said her son had given no indication of a problem when she spoke to him by phone earlier in the week, and that he was "joking" with her.
Seau was a standout linebacker with USC before going to the San Diego Chargers and leading them to the Super Bowl after the 1994 season. The team says in a statement that everyone with the Chargers "is in complete shock and disbelief" over the news.
- Acclaimed Film Director Tony Scott Commits Suicide
- NFL Star Junior Seau Found Dead
- Apparent Murder-Suicide Kills 2
- Two Bodies Found Inside Apartment from Apparent Murder-Suicide
- Scientists Say Baby Born With HIV Apparently Cured
- New Details in Washington State Double Murder/Suicide
- Rutgers Suicide Case
- Prosecutors to Appeal Sentence in Webcam Suicide Case
- Man Jumps to Attempted Suicide at Niagara Falls
- NFL Great Junior Seau May Have Taken His Own Life