Searchers Find Missing Alaska Teen Hiker
PORT PROTECTION, Alaska (AP) - A 13-year-old southeast Alaska girl missing since a weekend hike has been found alive.
Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters says Makayla McRoberts will be evaluated by medics aboard a Coast Guard helicopter on scene. But she says the teen doesn't appear to have any injuries.
Ground searchers found Makayla at about noon Tuesday. The exact location wasn't immediately known.
Makayla didn't return from a Sunday afternoon hike in the Port Protection area, prompting ground and aerial searches.
Authorities said the girl is new to Alaska and unfamiliar with the area.
Port Protection is on Prince of Wales Island, nearly 150 miles south of Juneau.
- Police Find Person of Interest in Missing Firefighter Case
- Missing Teen Vigil
- Alaska Airlines Plane Wing Note 'Not Appropriate'
- Police Need Help to Find Missing Melrose Woman
- Missing Autistic Teen
- Authorities Search For Missing Teen Mother
- Newborn Baby Abandoned In Miami Found By Searchers
- Marshals Find Fugitive
- Police Find Gun Believed Used in CA College Shooting
- Michigan teen makes prom dress out of Starburst wrappers