Searchers Find Missing Alaska Teen Hiker
PORT PROTECTION, Alaska (AP) - A 13-year-old southeast Alaska girl missing since a weekend hike has been found alive.
Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters says Makayla McRoberts will be evaluated by medics aboard a Coast Guard helicopter on scene. But she says the teen doesn't appear to have any injuries.
Ground searchers found Makayla at about noon Tuesday. The exact location wasn't immediately known.
Makayla didn't return from a Sunday afternoon hike in the Port Protection area, prompting ground and aerial searches.
Authorities said the girl is new to Alaska and unfamiliar with the area.
Port Protection is on Prince of Wales Island, nearly 150 miles south of Juneau.
- Police Find Person of Interest in Missing Firefighter Case
- Alaska Airlines Plane Wing Note 'Not Appropriate'
- Mom of missing teen wants iPhone
- Missing Teen Rescued in Idaho
- Missing Teen Vigil
- Family of missing teen fisherman drops lawsuit over phone
- ASO Deputies Find Missing Man with Lifesaver Program
- Investigators Find Body Believed To Be Missing Man From Interlachen
- Police Need Help to Find Missing Melrose Woman
- City of Archer mother needs help finding missing son