SAN DIEGO (AP) - A college student who was picked up in a drug raid and was forgotten in a holding cell says he had hallucinations of Japanese-style cartoon characters that told him to dig into the walls to find water.
Daniel Chong says he ripped apart the plastic lining on the walls after being left with no food or water for four days last week. He was swept up in a drug raid.
He says he drank his urine and tried repeatedly to trigger a fire sprinkler on the ceiling.
The student at the University of California, San Diego, says he grew so desperate that he wanted to die. He says agents eventually opened the cell door on a fluke.
The Drug Enforcement Administration issued an apology, saying it is investigating.
- Remembering The Forgotten War
- War Was Forgotten, But Never the Soldier
- Suspect to be announced in Tiffany Sessions case
- Lawyer in Kansas to Meet with Shooting Suspect
- Bomb Suspect Influenced by Mysterious Radical
- FBI: Three Friends Tried to Keep Bombing Suspect from Getting Arrested
- Police: Dead Boston Bombing Suspect Buried
- Review of FBI Shooting of Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Still Ongoing
- New York suspect found in Marion County
- Officer killed in Orlando, suspect at large