Woman Plans to Give Obese Trick-or-Treaters a "Trick"
FARGO, ND - One woman's Halloween plans are gaining national attention.
The North Dakota woman, who has chosen to remain anonymous, said she is taking on childhood obesity one trick-or-treater at a time.
Instead of giving out candy to every child in a costume, the woman said she plans to target kids who are "moderately obese" and give them a letter.
The letter reads,
"Happy Halloween and Happy Holidays Neighbor! You are probably wondering why your child has this note; have you ever heard the saying, 'it takes a village to raise a child?' I am disappointed in 'the village' of Fargo Morehead, West Fargo. Your child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season. My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits. Thank You"
"I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight. I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just because all the other kids are doing it," she said.
Supporters say the woman has the right idea but critics say she may be overstepping her bounds.
Doctors say children and teens who are very conscious of fitting in with their peers might find the letter more hurtful than helpful.
- Residents trick-or-treat in the same neighborhood for almost 10 years
- Gators Soccer Players Ready to Trick-or-Treat
- Trick or Treaters Safe Places List
- Gainesville Police Department Gives Kids Scary, but Safe Trick or Treating Alternative
- FDA Approves "Plan B" for OTC Sale to Women Ages 15 and Up
- Doctors Hope Classifying Obesity as a Disease Leads to More Treatment
- Legislators Give Hampton Another Chance, Will Stop Plans to Dissolve Troubled City
- City Of Gainesville Plans To Give Land To Non-Profit
- Giving Hope to Woman and Children Living in Domestic Violence Shelter
- Alachua County "C.O.P.s Unit" Gives Away Thanksgiving Meals