Gator Hoops Down on Bayou
The Gator men's basketball team is struggling a bit on its stretch run. Terry Martin scored 18 points and Garrett Temple added 17 to help struggling LSU upset number-3 Florida 66-56 on Saturday.
Tasmin Mitchell scored 11 for LSU (15-13, 4-10 Southeastern Conference), which had lost three straight and nine of 10 before hosting a team that had been number-1 little more than a week ago.
For LSU, the game offered an opportunity to salvage a good memory from an otherwise lost season. The home crowd roared its approval during the waning minutes, while the student section chanted "Over-rated," in Florida 's direction.
Florida (25-4, 12-2), which had already wrapped up the SEC regular season title and had set a new school record for single season victories, had little riding on the game and played like it.
The Gators missed their season averages in numerous categories as they lost for the second time in three games.
Normally a 42 percent shooting team from 3-point range, the Gators were 2-of-17 (11.8 percent). They were 4-of-12 on free throws and fell 24 points short of their 80.3 season average for points.
Al Horford led Florida with 13. Senior Chris Richard had 12 off the bench and Corey Brewer 11.
LSU's most dominant player, Glen "Big Baby" Davis, spent the game on the sideline in a pinstriped suit because of a pulled right quadriceps that also kept him out of Wednesday's 70-63 loss at Kentucky .
LSU outrebounded Florida 20-8 in the opening half and held the Gators to 39.1 percent shooting during the period.
The Gators trimmed their deficit to 28-17 on Brewer's 3-pointer. But Magnum Rolle hit a tough leaner and dunked soon after, then Dameon Mason sank an off-balance running hook before Brewer's runner cut LSU's lead to 34-21 at halftime.
- Gators Win "Battle on the Bayou"
- Gator Hoops Win 15 Straight, Down Alabama
- Gator Women's Hoops Down Miss. St in SEC Opener
- Gator Women Hoops Down Tennessee State
- Gator Soccer Falls in SEC Tournament Championship, Women's Hoops Downs UNF
- Gator Hoops to Kick-Off Season Down Two More Players; Ranked 10th in AP Poll
- Gator Women's Hoops Downs Pacific
- Gators Womens Hoops Take Down #22 Razorbacks 64-53
- Santa Fe College Hoops Downs East Florida State
- Chiefland Boys and Girls Hoops Down Bronson