Peck Wins Home Finale
A long regular season ends on a high note for fired head coach Carolyn Peck. Gator sophomore Sha Brooks recorded 28 points on 8-for-13 shooting to match her career high, and three additional Gators scored in double-figures to lead the Gators to an 83-79 victory over Kentucky on Sunday afternoon in the O'Connell Center, during a close contest that featured 20 lead changes and 10 ties.
The game, which was the final regular-season contest for both teams, marked Florida's second consecutive year of winning its final home and regular-season contests. Last year, the Gators upset number-2 LSU in their home finale before knocking off number-5 Tennessee in Knoxville to end the regular season.
Sophomore Marshae Dotson narrowly missed a double-double with 22 points and nine rebounds, while junior Depree Bowden chipped in 16 points and senior Briana Phillips added 12, as Florida (8-21, 2-12 Southeastern Conference) shot a season-high 50 percent from the field on 28-of-56 shooting.
The Gators next enter postseason action Thursday, March 1, at the 2007 SEC Women's Basketball Tournament in Duluth, Ga. Florida earned the number 11 seed and will face number 6-seeded Mississippi State in the opening round with tip-off scheduled for 9:30 p.m. ET. Sun Sports will televise all four first-round games live throughout the state of Florida as part of the SEC-TV package, which also includes FSN South and FSN Southwest.
- Trinity Catholic Wins "Holy War", Advances to State Finals
- Bobcats Exact Revenge on 'Canes, 73-62 Win Pushes Buchholz to Regional Final
- Williston Boys Basketball Wins Final Season Showdown Against Santa Fe
- Gators Win Wild Ride Over Vandy, Heading To CWS Final
- Trinity Catholic Rides Eashoo's 4-Goal Performance in 4-1 Regional Final Win
- North Marion Advances to Boys Basketball District Finals with 65-52 Win over Palatka
- PK Yonge Softball Wins District Title, Keystone Advances to District Final
- Trenton Moves to District Final, Union County Wins District Crown
- North Marion Wins, Vanguard Loses in District Finals
- Florida Baseball Wins Final Mid-Week Game In Dramatic Fashion