Gators On Verge Of Three-Peat!
Florida is one win away from a three-peat at the Southeastern Conference tournament.
Corey Brewer scored 22 points, Lee Humphrey added 17 and the sixth-ranked Gators put on another dominating display to beat Mississippi 80-59 in the SEC semifinals Saturday.
Defending national champion Florida (28-5) jumped out to a quick 11-point lead and was never seriously challenged by the Rebels (20-12), who might have cost themselves a chance to slip into the NCAA field.
Florida has won its first two games in the tournament by an average of 19 points to reach its fourth straight SEC final. The Gators won the last two championships and have a chance to be the first team since Kentucky in 1997-99 to win three straight tournament titles.
Florida advanced to play Arkansas in Sunday's championship game. The Razorbacks knocked off Mississippi State 81-72 in the other semifinal.
Taurean Green added 14 points for Florida, which buried the Rebels by going 10-of-24 from beyond the 3-point arc. Humphrey was especially accurate, making 5-of-8 outside the stripe.
After blowing out Georgia in the quarterfinals with the first 17 points of the game, Florida got off to another quick start. Brewer and Green connected from 3-point range and Al Horford scored on the inside to make it 13-2 with the game barely five minutes old.
Clearly, the Gators have gotten past that little hiccup at the end of February, when they lost three of four games. Now, they're a front-runner for aÂ number-1 seed in the NCAA field.
- Gators 3-Peat As Conference Tournament Champs!
- Burleigh Reaches 400 Wins, Gator Soccer Cruises to NCAA Tourney Victory; Gator Volleyball Back on Track with Three-Set Sweep Over Missouri
- Gators Kick Off SEC Media Days; First Three Game-Times Announced
- Gator Women End Three Game Losing Streak, Down Auburn
- Three Gator Football Players, Past and Present, Honored For Accomplishments
- Three Gators Named to 2013 Freshman All-SEC Team
- Gator Basketball Plans on Still Shooting Three's
- Three Players Transfer From Gator Women's Basketball Team
- Gator Volleyball Earns 14th National Seed, Host Three in 1st Rd of NCAA Tournament
- First Three Gator Football Game Times Announced