Gator Softball Wins SEC Tourney Opener
Stacey Nelson recorded her 11th shutout of the season and held fifth-seeded Mississippi State to just one hit to lead Florida to a 3-0 victory over the Bulldogs in the first round of the SEC Softball Tournament Thursday. The fourth-seeded Gators will face the winner of eighth-seeded Ole Miss and top-seeded Tennessee Friday at 7:30 p.m. CT.
The win was Florida's first in the SEC Tournament since 2003 and its first ever over Mississippi State in the SEC Tournament.
Florida took a 1-0 lead in the third on a two-out single by Melissa Zick that scored Kim Waleszonia. Zick's single extended her school-record hitting streak to 15 games. Ali Gardiner led Florida with two hits.
The Gators added another run on a solo shot by Lauren Roussell in the fifth and closed out the scoring with a run in the sixth.Â Â Nelson's 11th shutout and 35th complete game of the season is a Florida sophomore record. She allowed just two Mississippi State baserunners in earning her 29th win of the season.
The Bulldogs' lone hit came on a leadoff single by Chelsea Bramlett in the fourth.Â Â Kelli Miller took the loss for Mississippi State, allowing one run and four hits in four innings.
- Gator Baseball Wins SEC Tourney Opener
- Gator Softball Cruises in NCAA Tourney Opener
- Gators Blank Commodores, Win SEC Tourney Title, Earn No. 2 Overall Seed In NCAA Baseball Tournament
- GATOR WOMEN'S TENNIS WINS TOURNEY OPENER
- Gator Women Win Tourney Opener
- Florida Baseball Loses SEC Tourney Opener, Awaits NCAA Tourney Fate
- Gator Baseball Wins SEC Opener
- Gator Softball Picked to Win 2014 SEC Title in Coaches' Preseason Poll
- Merrit's 5 RBI Leads Gators Softball To SEC Tournament QF Win
- Gator Softball Advances to SEC Tournament Championship with 2-1 Win Over Tennessee