Gators in Trouble!
A Florida football player and a basketball player have been charged with buying marijuana and have been suspended indefinitely from their teams, according to police and the university.
Running back Brandon James and basketball guard Brandon Powell, both 19, were arrested Monday on charges of purchasing andpossessing less than 20 grams of marijuana, a police report said.James and Powell met with a confidential police source to buy about .8 grams of marijuana for $20, reports said.
Both were released on their own recognizance Tuesday, an AlachuaCounty jail official said. It was not known if either men had an attorney.
"We are aware of the situation and understand the severity of its nature," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement. "This is not something we take lightly. Both coaches have informed me that the players involved have been suspended indefinitely and we will continue to follow the procedures in addressing this."
James set Florida's record for punt return yardage during a 62-0 rout of Western Carolina this past year. In that game, he scored on a 77-yard return. Powell played in 23 games this past season.
Both Florida's basketball and football teams won national championships this past season.
- Gators in Trouble
- Gator Hoops Has No Trouble Rolling Rollins
- MEYER RECRUITING TROUBLE?
- Trevante Taylor Arrested at Lake Weir Football Game, Facing Trouble On 3 Fronts
- Aaron Hernandez: More Troubles at 17
- Florida Not Alone In Using Troubled Players
- Trouble for the AAFL?
- Newberry Begins Search for New Manager of Troubled Baseball Complex
- Gainesville Bar In Trouble
- Local Summer Program Hopes To Keep Teens Out Of Trouble