MEYER NAMES NEWTON BACKUP QB
After weeks of speculation, Urban Meyer finally named true freshman Cameron Newton as Tim Tebow's backup. Newton beat out junior college transfer Brian Waggner and former Trinity Catholic standout John Brantley for the position. Meyer said that, given Newton's full semester of practice in the spring as well as his workouts this fall,Â the choice was clear.
MeyerÂ also emphasized that heÂ will not automatically redshirt Brantley, saying Â he wantsÂ the Gatorade National High School Player of the YearÂ to be ready every game.
In addition, Meyer named five captains for this year's team. They are: wide receiver Andre "Bubba" Caldwell, left tackle Phil Trautwein, center Drew Miller, safety Tony Joiner, and defensive end Derrick Harvey.
By Chris Price WCJB TV20 Sports
- Treon Harris Named Gators Backup Quarterback
- Meyer Responds to Cam Newton Cheating Allegation
- Newton Happy as a Gator
- Jeffrey Meldon TV20 Scholar Athlete Kasey Newton
- MEYER PINS CASEY AS INGRAM'S REPLACEMENT
- Meyer Gets Another Commitment
- Interview With Shelly Meyer
- URBAN MEYER FOOTBALL CAMP BEGINS
- Meyer Hires New Assistant
- MEYER RECRUITING TROUBLE?