Trautwein Out for Opener
The Gator football team, currently #6 in the AP poll, will be without offensive tackle Phil Trautwein for Saturday's season opener against Western Kentucky, and he might be out for the season.
Trautwein, a senior captain who started every game for thenational champions last season, has a stress fracture in his right foot that could require season-ending surgery.
"A big loss, huge loss," coach Urban Meyer said Wednesday."The good thing is it's an area where there's a little bit of depth and a little bit of competition."
Trautwein moved from left tackle to right tackle in the spring to protect left-handed quarterback Tim Tebow's blind side. He hurt his foot in early August and recently moved back to the left side in hopes of protecting the injury.Â But the foot didn't get better, and tests revealed a stress fracture - a recurring problem for Trautwein since high school.
Â No timetable was set for Trautwein's return. Meyer said he could take a medical redshirt and return next season.
- Gator Softball Opens Home Season, Shuts Out UNC Over Weekend
- Gator Softball Cruises in NCAA Tourney Opener
- Gator Football Changes Season Opening Kick-Off Time
- Gator Baseball Cages Tigers in Opener
- Gator Football Season Opening Kick-Off Time Set!
- Gator Football Stars May Miss Opener
- GATOR BASEBALL DROPS TOURNEY OPENER
- Commodores Slam Gators in Conference Tourney Opener
- Gators Conquer Aztecs in NIT Opener
- GATOR FOOTBALL TWO WEEKS AWAY FROM OPENING DAY