Gator Tennis Teams Learn NCAA Tourney Fate
Both the University of Florida men's and women's tennis teams were chosen as one of 16 hosts of their respective NCAA First and Second Round Championship matches, the NCAA Committee announced on Tuesday afternoon. The event will run from May 9 to 11 at UF's Linder Stadium on campus. The Gator women will host two first round matches on Friday, May 9 and a second round contest on Saturday, May 10, while the men will play their first round matches on Saturday and the second round on the Sunday, May 11.
The Gator women, ranked #6 in the country with a 20-2 overall record, received the #6 seed in the 64-team draw. Florida faces Atlantic Sun Conference championship Jacksonville (20-5) in its NCAA First Round contest on Friday, May 9 beginning at 6 p.m. The other NCAA Women's First Round match played in Gainesville features Auburn versus Ohio State. That match is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. on Friday. The winning teams from those first round matches meet in the Second Round on Saturday at 4 p.m. UF has hosted First and Second round matches every year since the NCAA Women's Championships expanded its field to 64 teams in 1999. The Florida women's team is making its 25th appearance in the 26-year history of the NCAA Championships, missing only the 1986 event. The Gators won NCAA team titles in 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2003 and have advanced to at least the NCAA Semifinals 17 times in the last 20 years.
The Gator men, ranked #9 in the country with a 15-7 overall record, received the #10 overall seed in the NCAA draw and the top seed in the Gainesville regional. Florida will play Navy (20-8) in the opening round with the winner of the match to face the winner of the No. 19 Miami (16-7) and No. 42 USF (14-6). It is the 18th consecutive year that the UF men's team has received an NCAA Tournament bid, as UF is one of three teams nationally to earn a bid to the tournament each year since 1991. Last year, the Gators advanced to the Round of 16 for the 14th time in the last 17 years. UF's best NCAA finish was in 2000 and 2005 when the Gators advanced to the semifinals. This season marks the first time since 2005 the men's team has hosted the NCAA first and second rounds. UF has done so five times under seventh-year head coach Andy Jackson.
- Gator Tennis Teams Learn NCAA Tourney Fate
- Gator Soccer Learns NCAA Tourney Fate
- Gators Advance In NCAA Tourney For First Time Since 06-07 National Title Team
- Gator Tennis Teams To Host NCAA First and Second Rounds
- Gator Men's and Women's Tennis Teams Advance in NCAA Championships
- Burleigh Reaches 400 Wins, Gator Soccer Cruises to NCAA Tourney Victory; Gator Volleyball Back on Track with Three-Set Sweep Over Missouri
- GATOR WOMEN'S TENNIS WINS TOURNEY OPENER
- Gator Softball Cruises in NCAA Tourney Opener
- Gators Blank Commodores, Win SEC Tourney Title, Earn No. 2 Overall Seed In NCAA Baseball Tournament
- Gator Roundup: Men's Tennis Keeps Rolling, Women's Tennis Falters, Softball Team Remains Unbeaten