Gators 5th in first Coach's Poll
According, in the race for a national championship, the Florida Gators are fifth best for now. The first coaches poll for this season came out Friday morning and the Gators are ranked fifth after receiving five first-place votes.
The #1 spot belongs to Georgia, a popular pick in the preseason publications after closing the 2007 season on a seven-game winning streak, culminating with a rout of Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. The Bulldogs receiving 22 of the 61 first-place votes, edging out Southern Cal (14) and Ohio State (14).
Georgia returns virtually all of its impact players from a year ago, including quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno, a strong Heisman candidate.
The Gators hope to re-emerge as a national title contender after going 9-4 last season and losing to Michigan in the Capital One Bowl. UF returns the bulk of its starters, led by Heisman-winning quarterback Tim Tebow and wide receiver Percy Harvin.
There are three other SEC schools in the top 25. Defending national champion LSU is at #6, while Auburn is 11th and Tennessee 18th.
Florida's Urban Meyer is one of the 61 coaches voting in this season's coaches' poll
- Gator Softball Picked to Win 2014 SEC Title in Coaches' Preseason Poll
- Ex-Syracuse Hoops Coach's Wife: Life is Ruined
- Gators #3 in Pre-Season Coaches Poll
- Gators Preview Season; Coaches Poll Rankings Released
- Gators Top Coaches Poll
- The USA Today Coaches' Preseason Poll Is Released
- Gators Number One in First BCS Poll, Drop to 2 in AP
- New Gator Women's Golf Coach Bastel Ready for the Spotlight
- Dowling Resigns as Gator Women's Golf Coach
- As Gator Baseball Moves To CWS, O'Sullivan Appreciates Help From Fellow Coaches