Gators Can't Squeeze Orangemen
Paul Harris had 18 points and 11 rebounds, Jonny Flynn scored 18 points and Syracuse beat No. 17 Florida 89-83 Monday night in the semifinals of the CBE Classic.Â Syracuse (4-0)Â picked apart Florida's zone with dribble drives and spot-up shooting from the perimeter -- shooting 51 percent from the field and had 19 assists on 31 field goals, taking control with a big run early in the second half. Andy Rautins hit five 3-pointers and had 15 points - all in the first half - Arinze Onuaku added 13 points and 12 rebounds, and Kris Joseph had 10 points for the Orange.
Syracuse will face the winner between #22 Kansas and Florida will play Washington Tuesday night in the championship game of a tournament that features four of the last six NCAA champions.Â Alex Tyus finished with a career-best 24 points on 11-of-14 shooting and Nick Calathes had 19 points for Florida (3-1), which ost despite getting 12 steals.
The Gators made defense a priority in the offseason after inishing near the bottom of the Southeastern Conference in several categories. Florida defended well in its first three games this season, forcing 23 turnovers a game, holding each opponent under 60 points.
But after beating up on Toledo, Bradley and Southern Utah, the Gators had a little more trouble with the bigger, faster Orange.
- Gators Can't Cage Tigers
- Gator Baseball Can't Handle Golden Flashes
- Gators Can't Stop Perfection, Fall to No. 1 Kentucky 74-59
- Gator Baseball Hit, Can't Score in 5-1 Loss to Arkansas
- Gator Baseball Can't Hold On in Extra Innings
- Hawthorne Can't Tame Tigers, Lose To Chipley In 1A State Basketball Championship
- Lochte Anchors, Can't Hang On For Gold in 4x100m Free Relay; Other Olympic Results
- St. Francis Can't Overcome Turnovers, Fall to John Paul II 9-7
- Record Hits on Mag's 'Women Can't Have It All' Story
- Kid Who Can't Eat Fundraiser