Billy Donovan Says He's Staying!
Amid rumors following the firing of Billy Gillispie at the University of Kentucky, University of Florida head basketball coach Billy Donovan says he isn't going anywhere.Â Donovan made it clear Friday he has no interest in the Kentucky job or any other opening, reaffirming his desire to stay in Gainesville and get the Gators back to the NCAA tournament.
"In response to the rumors circulating about my interest in other jobs, I wanted to address this as quickly as possible.Â I am committed to the University of Florida and look forward to continuing to build our program here."
Kentucky fired coach Billy Gillispie on Friday, creating an opening at one of college basketball's premier programs and prompting speculation that Donovan would again be the top target to return to the Bluegrass State. Donovan spent five years as an assistant under Rick Pitino in Lexington, learning all about Kentucky's unrivaled fan base and unrealistic expectations.
Nonetheless, Donovan spurned a chance to take over the tradition-rich program in April 2007, turning down athletic director Mitch Barnhart before he even offered him the job. Donovan didn't even let it get that far this time around. His statement was released minutes after Barnhart announced Gillispie's dismissal.
- Room for Improvement: Billy Donovan Says So
- INGRAM SAYS HE'S READY TO PLAY
- CULPEPPER SAYS HE'S READY TO PLAY
- Help Billy Donovan Win the Coaches' Charity Challenge!
- Billy Donovan's take on Syracuse
- Suwannee's Hayes Verbally Commits To Billy Donovan, Gators Basketball
- Man Accused of Identity Theft Released from Jail, Says He's a Victim
- Scholar/Athlete of the Week for 1/7/10 - Billy Donovan Jr.
- Billy Donovan Discusses Developing Front Court
- Billy Donovan Reinstates F Erik Murphy to Gator Basketball Team