Gator Hoops Advances to Elite 8 of NIT
Nick Calathes couldn't get Florida into the NCAA tournament. Now, he's doing all he can to extend the season.Â The Gators star sophomore guard had 21 points, Alex Tyus added 13 points and 12 rebounds, and the Gators beat in-state rival Miami 74-60 in the second round of the NIT on Friday night.
Florida (25-10) improved to 18-1 at the O'Connell Center this season, tying a school record for home wins, and advanced to the tournament quarterfinals. The top-seeded Gators will host No. 2 seed Penn State on Tuesday night.
Miami (19-13) got way behind early, trailing by 22 points in the first half, and never recovered. The Hurricanes cut the lead to 11 several times in the second half, but couldn't get any closer.
The Gators shot a season-high 63 percent from the field in the opening 20 minutes and were 8-of-16 from 3-point range. Calathes ended the half with 13 points, four rebounds and six assists.Â Florida cooled off in the second half, but Miami did little to mount a comeback.
- Gator Hoops Advances in NIT
- Gator Volleyball Advances to Elite Eight with Three-Set Sweep Over Michigan, Other Volleyball Scores
- Gators Exact Revenge on BYU in OT Thriller 83-74, Advance to Elite Eight
- Gators Collar Bulldogs to Advance to Elite-8
- Gator Women's Hoops Advance to SEC Tournament Quarterfinals
- Gators Conquer Aztecs in NIT Opener
- Gator Women's Basketball Team Earns NIT Berth
- Gator Women's Basketball Season Ends In 2nd Round NIT Loss
- Gator Women's Basketball Loses In NIT Semis
- Minutemen Cook Gators in NIT