Gators Thwarted in Walk-Off Fashion 4-3, Winner-Take-All Tomorrow for CWS Berth
Nick Vickerson knew he should bunt. The Mississippi State senior had a Bulldog teammate on first, representing the tying run with nobody out. But Vickerson lobbied to his coach to give him one strike on Gator pitcher Steven Rodriguez. With the Florida Gators up 3-2 and only three outs away from their seventh College World Series appearance in program history, Bulldogs head coach John Cohen obliged his senior. With one swing of the bat in the bottom of the ninth, Vickerson hit a walk-off two run homer to send the Gainesville Super Regional to a winner-take-all Game 3 on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Florida freshman pitcher Karsten Whitson was phenomenal through six innings, only allowing one hit and striking out six. But in the seventh with the Gators hanging onto a 2-0 lead, Whitson gave up three consecutive singles to plate the first run for MSU. Tommy Toledo gave up another run to tie it, but ended the damage with a ground-ball double play.
The Gators reclaimed the lead after a huge leadoff double by SEC Player of the Year Mike Zunino, who scored when Tyler Thompson hit an RBI triple. But two inning later, Vickerson's heroics came to pass, and we have ourselves a best-of-three series tied at one-game apiece.
- Gator Baseball Wins in Walk-Off Fashion Over Auburn
- Columbia Softball Advances in Walk-Off Fashion
- NEER'S WALK-OFF WINS GAME FOR GATORS
- PETRIE'S WALK-OFF SINGLE WINS GAME FOR GATORS
- Walk-Off Strikeout Error Dooms UGA as Gators Win in Bottom 16th
- Gators Take a Nature Walk & Prepare for "Chippy" Players
- Santa Fe College Men's Basketball Tips Off Tomorrow
- Gator Women's Basketball Team Earns NIT Berth
- Gator Lacrosse Earns First NCAA Tournament Berth in Program History
- Gator Baseball Beats Razorbacks on Walkoff