Driskel, Brissett Both Start Opener in 27-14 Gator Victory
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Will Muschamp said all week both sophomore quarterbacks Jeff Driskel and Jacoby Brissett deserved to start Florida's home opener against Bowling Green.
It turns out he was a man of his word.
On the first offensive snap of the season, Driskel lined up at split end while Brissett took the first snap of the season in the beginning of an odd game against Bowling Green.
The visiting Falcons scored the first points of the game, and stayed with the Gators throughout the majority of the contest.
But Florida running back Mike Gillislee carried the Orange and Blue with a career-high 148 yards and two second quarter touchdowns en route to a 27-10 Gator victory.
Jeff Driskel took the reigns for all first quarter possessions, and started the entire second half.
Florida showed signs of rust on defense, missing tackles and failing to get much pass rush on Falcons quarterback Matt Shilz.
But the unit came up with the first turnover of the season on a Marcus Roberson interception at the start of the fourth quarter.
The Gators turned the turnover into six points when Driskel connected with Frankie Hammond, who slipped a tackle and raced for a 50-yard touchdown to make it 24-14.
Caleb Sturgis completed the scoring on the very next drive with a 51-yard field goal.
Will Muschamp said not to read too much into who will start at quarterback next week, as the evaluation process will continue as Florida prepares for Texas A&M in the first road SEC contest of the season.
- Driskel, Brissett Enjoying Gator QB Battle
- Lacroix Gets Over 200 Career Victories as Both Gator Tennis Teams Sweep Vanderbilt 7-0
- Driskel Named Gators Starting QB Moving Forward
- Muschamp Will Play Brissett, Driskel Each 1 Quarter, Then Reevaluate vs. Bowling Green
- Jeff Driskel Out; Jacoby Brissett Stepping Up
- Pease Hopes Driskel Will Be More Honest Without Brissett In QB Mix
- Saints, Crusaders Both Preserve Home Shutout Victories
- Brantley Out For LSU, Driskel Expected To Start
- Driskel Starting To Draw Tebow Comparisons
- Driskel Is Heir To Legacy Started By Spurrier