Gainesville High Embarks on Orlando for 6A State Title Game
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The student body of Gainesville High School came out in droves to send off their Purple Hurricanes to Orlando.
The GHS football team will compete in the Class 6A state football championship against Miami Central on Saturday at 1:07 p.m. in the Citrus Bowl.
The entire team embarked on Orlando in two charter buses and will hold a walk-through tomorrow at the game site.
It marks the first state championship appearance in football for the Purple Hurricanes since Gainesville High won it all in 1980 against Titusville, 21-10.
Coaches, as well as players, felt the sense of pride from not only their school, but rivals around the city who are pulling for the local team versus Miami Central on Saturday.
- Gainesville Purple Hurricanes Fall Short in Title Game
- Chiefland Defeats Bell to Advance to 2nd Straight Class 1A Title Game
- Williston shuts down Hamilton County to advance to state title game
- Gainesville High School Wins Boys and Girls Title in Rob Ramirez City Swimming and Diving Championships
- Gainesville High Takes Third City Title with 38-7 Win Over Buchholz
- Gainesville High Volleyball Takes Down Eastside In Four Games
- Spurs Down Heat in 5 Games, Win NBA Title
- Trenton Tigers Look for Redemption in Class 1A State Title Game
- Trenton Beats Chiefland in All North Central Florida State Baseball Title Game
- Lafayette Falls in 1A State Title Softball Game