Gainesville High Embarks on Orlando for 6A State Title Game
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The student body of Gainesville High School came out in droves to send off their Purple Hurricanes to Orlando.
The GHS football team will compete in the Class 6A state football championship against Miami Central on Saturday at 1:07 p.m. in the Citrus Bowl.
The entire team embarked on Orlando in two charter buses and will hold a walk-through tomorrow at the game site.
It marks the first state championship appearance in football for the Purple Hurricanes since Gainesville High won it all in 1980 against Titusville, 21-10.
Coaches, as well as players, felt the sense of pride from not only their school, but rivals around the city who are pulling for the local team versus Miami Central on Saturday.
- Gainesville Purple Hurricanes Fall Short in Title Game
- Gainesville Softball Advances to State Title Game via 4-0 Shutout in Semi's
- Chiefland Defeats Bell to Advance to 2nd Straight Class 1A Title Game
- Williston shuts down Hamilton County to advance to state title game
- Gainesville High School Wins Boys and Girls Title in Rob Ramirez City Swimming and Diving Championships
- Gainesville High Takes Third City Title with 38-7 Win Over Buchholz
- Gainesville Wins First State Title with 1-0 Shutout of Lake Region
- Gainesville High Volleyball Takes Down Eastside In Four Games
- High School Football Game of the Week Preview: Gainesville vs Forest
- Gainesville police officer and local kids honored at Orlando Magic game.