Gator Volleyball Sweeps Alabama, Women's Hoops Wins on Road
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The No. 5 Gators notched their 10th conference sweep of the campaign, downing the Alabama Crimson Tide (25-21, 25-23, 25-17) Sunday afternoon at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center behind the efforts of sophomore outside hitter Gabby Mallette.
Mallette struck with a team-high 11 kills, her sixth double-digit kill effort in conference play, good for a .500 hitting efficiency on the afternoon. Mallette’s best two offensive outings in league play have come against the Crimson Tide, as she hit .600 with 10 kills in the first meeting between the two teams in Tuscaloosa Oct. 6. Florida’s defense rallied for 10 blocks against Alabama, including seven in the second set, tying for its third-most in SEC play.
· Senior middle blocker Chloe Mann had four roofs, her most since she had six against Arkansas on October 18. Mann also had six kills to notch nine points for the Gators
· Mann is now just seven attacks shy (1,493) of being eligible for the NCAA career hitting efficiency record (min 1,500 attempts). The Florida senior boasts a .474 career hitting mark, ahead of current record-holder Penn State’s Arielle Wilson (.468)
· Florida’s 10 stuffs were the most since 13 in the five-set thriller at Texas A&M Nov. 3. The Gators had a season-high 15 at Ole Miss Sept. 29th. Florida has now had double-digit blocks in seven matches in 2013
· For the third time in Florida’s last four matches, junior Taylor Unroe has had two or more service aces, as the Gators’ libero had back-to-back aces in the third set for Florida’s 18th and 19th points. Unroe additionally had a team-high nine digs
· Sophomore outside hitter Gabby Mallette led the Gators with 11 kills and a .500 offensive clip. She added two blocks for a match-high 12.5 points, her fifth time in SEC play with12.5 points
· Mallette’s .500 hitting efficiency was her second-best of the season next to the outing at Alabama Oct. 6 (.600)
· Sophomore middle blocker Simone Antwi recorded a .455 hitting efficiency, using six kills on 11 attempts with just one error. Antwi has hit .400 or above in four of UF’s last six outings
· Senior setter Taylor Brauneis had a team-best 31 assists en route to Florida’s .341 offensive efficiency Sunday afternoon
“We had almost as many blocks in the second set as we’ve had in whole matches, and then Alabama went to an off-speed game. The blocking served its purpose, then it was a matter of tipping – a few of which we needed to pick up – but the story of this match was the play of Gabby Mallette and how good she was. Not just in terms of the offense, but also in terms of what she did in the front row. Balls that she touched, or when she forced the hitters to make an adjustment, she really had one of her most complete matches. Živa (Recek) turned it to a different level after our last timeout in the second set, got the stuff block and really played so well throughout the rest of the match.”
MARY BY THE NUMBERS:
At Florida: 710-83 | All-Time: 791-146
RECORDS AND SERIES NOTES: UF (24-3, 13-2 SEC) | Alabama (21-8, 8-6 SEC)
ALL-TIME AGAINST ALABAMA: The Gators used their tenth conference sweep to remain undefeated all-time against the Crimson Tide. Florida now owns a 38-0 record against Alabama, including 36-0 under Mary Wise.
NOT ON OUR WATCH: Florida has forced 20 of its 27 opponents to operate at under .200 hitting efficiency, including three offensive outputs at .000 and below. Alabama hit .141 on Sunday, including a .032 offensive clip in the first set.
CHLOE’S A “MANN”STER: Senior middle blocker Chloe Mann is hitting .474 for her career and is the Florida career record holder in the category. The reigning SEC Player of the Year is the NCAA active leader in hitting percentage and sits just above the NCAA record holder in career hitting percentage, Penn State’s Arielle Wilson (.468). Mann needs just seven more attempts to be eligible for the NCAA record. Mann is additionally just nine points shy of the 1,000-point mark for her career as a Gator.
NCAA NUMBERS: Senior Chloe Mann leads the NCAA in hitting percentage (.508), while the Gators are second in the nation with a .330 offensive clip. Freshman right-side hitter Alex Holston is 14th in the country with a .388 hitting percentage and senior setter Taylor Brauneis is 14th in assists (11.45/set).
UP NEXT: Florida heads to Knoxville for a mid-week ESPNU tilt with the Lady Vols Wednesday, Nov. 20. Florida is 43-12 all-time against Tennessee (39-7 under Wise), including a sweep in Gainesville Oct. 27 that snapped a three-match losing skid for the Gators against the Lady Vols, as UT has won four of the last seven meetings.
VOTE FOR CHLOE: Senior middle blocker Chloe Mann is one of ten NCAA® women’s volleyball student-athletes who excel both on and off the court to be selected as finalists for the 2013 Senior CLASS Award® in collegiate volleyball. To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – community, classroom, character and competition. Fans can vote for Chloe here<http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/volleyball_2013/> once a day, every day until December 9.
NOVEMBER FOOD DRIVE: For the month of November, the Gators have teamed up with the Alachua County Strike Out Hunger Initiative and will be collecting canned foods at each of UF’s final four home matches of the season. Any fan that donates two canned food items or more will receive a coupon good for a Buy One Get One Free Ticket for the 11.22 match versus LSU (Senior Night).
KENNESAW, Ga. – Kayla Lewis (Decatur, Ga.) couldn’t have asked for a better birthday, as she scored a game-high 21 points and Florida defeated Kennesaw State, 83-62, at the KSU Convocation Center on Sunday afternoon.
Lewis was playing in front of a large gathering of family and friends, who made the 25-mile trip from her hometown of Decatur. Several members of the Atlanta Gator Club also were in attendance, cheering Florida onto its first road win of the year.
- Gator Women's Hoops Complete Season Sweep of Kentucky
- Gator Men's and Women's Hoops Win on Sunday
- Gator Women's Hoops Loses, Softball Wins
- Gator Women's Hoops Win On Senior Night
- Gator Women's Hoops Win 60-57
- Florida Women's Sports Wrap: Volleyball Wins, Soccer Loses
- Santa Fe Men's Hoops Win, Women Lose on the Road
- Gator Women's Basketball Playing Well on the Road
- Gator Women's Hoops Top Hatters
- Pre-Season Honors for Gator Women's Hoops