Powered by Casey Prather & Dorian Finney-Smith, Gator Basketball Wins
Published November 17th, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Florida coach Billy Donovan was looking for energy, and he found it from someone who didn't have a lot to give.
Dorian Finney-Smith, done with his suspension but battling a virus that kept him out of practice all week and caused him to lose 10 pounds, scored 17 points in 16 minutes to help the 11th-ranked Gators beat Arkansas-Little Rock 86-56 on Saturday.
It was quite a debut for Finney-Smith, the versatile 6-foot-8 transfer from Virginia Tech. He was a threat outside with 3-pointers and always around the basket for loose balls, which is exactly what Donovan preached after a lackluster opening half that ended in a tie at 27.
"I really didn't know what to expect," Donovan said. "He hadn't picked up a ball since Monday. He really moved the basketball and made the extra pass. Because he can shoot it, put it on the floor and pass, he opens up a lot of things for our guys."
Casey Prather led the Gators (2-1) with 27 points, eight of them during a 17-4 run midway through the second half.
Donovan was tired of watching a game with an excitement level that ranked right up there with paint drying. His Gators were moving the ball slowly, looking for openings in the post that
- Wilbekin, Donovan Amongst Gators on SEC Awards List
- Billy Donovan Gets 500th Win, Gators Handle Vols 66-49
- Florida Routs Yale, Wins 85-47
- Gator Men Rout Jacksonville, Women Nip Stetson
- Gators Cruise Past Mississippi State in SEC Home Opener
- Gators Fall to Kentucky 68-61; Wildcats Remain Undefeated
- Florida Suffers Worst Home Loss in Five Years, 79-61
- Florida Edges Past Arkansas 57-56
- Dorian Finney-Smith will Return to Florida for Senior Season
- Florida Wins 21st Straight Regular Season Game with 75-55 Win vs Auburn