Gator Women's Hoops Jaterra Bonds Named SEC Player of the Week
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Florida’s Jaterra Bonds (Gainesville, Fla.) was named the Southeastern Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday.
This is the first time in her career the Gator senior has been honored with the SEC’s weekly award.
In UF’s only game last week, Bonds scored a career-high 26 points and gave Florida its first lead of the game three seconds into overtime as the Gators overcame a 16-point halftime deficit and completed the fourth-largest comeback win in program history with a 67-65 victory against Georgetown.
Additional highlights from Bonds’ big week:
· Bonds carried the Gators to their sixth consecutive win and cap a perfect 6-0 December – first undefeated December since the 2008-09 season
· Bonds scored 26 points to finish in double figures for the 11th time this season and 67th time in her career.
· Bonds’ game represented her fifth 20-point game and 10th of her career.
· Bonds’ 21st point was the 1,300th of her career.
· Bonds has been doing it all, entering the game averaging 15.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.8 steals, while hitting 66-81 (81.5%) free throws. Against Georgetown, Bonds tallied 26 points, six rebounds, five assists, three steals and hit 10 of 13 (76.9%) of free throws.
· Bonds entered the game averaging 6.8 free throws attempts per game. The senior went to the line 13 times and made 10 free throws.
· Bonds started her 83rd straight game; 96th of her career.
The Gators wrapped up their non-conference slate with a 10-3 record, including a 6-0 mark in the month of December.
The Gators capped their preconference schedule with a two-point overtime win against Georgetown, which led by as many as 16 points in the first half. The comeback was tied for the fourth-largest in program history. Florida has played five games this season decided by eight points or less, winning three.
Florida plays host to Mississippi State on Jan. 2 in the team’s SEC opener.
- Needles Stiches Her Name Into Gator Women's Hoops Record Book
- Gator Soccer's Erika Tymrak Named SEC Offensive Player of Week
- Five Players in Double Digits as Gator Women's Hoops Beat Troy
- Gator Women's Hoops Down Miss. St in SEC Opener
- Gator Soccer Falls in SEC Tournament Championship, Women's Hoops Downs UNF
- Gator Women's Hoops Advance to SEC Tournament Quarterfinals
- Gator Men's and Women's Golf Finish 3rd and 4th at SEC Tournament
- Gators Men's and Women's Track and Field Finish Second at SEC Outdoor Championships
- Gators Men's and Women's Tennis Teams Win SEC Tournament Titles
- Gator Men's and Women's Hoops Win on Sunday