Gator Women Hoops On A Roll
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Florida senior Jaterra Bonds (Gainesville, Fla.) was named the Southeastern Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for the second consecutive period, the league office announced Monday.
Bonds also was recognized as the NATIONAL Player of the Week by www.CollegeSportsMadness.com
Bonds was UF’s leading game scorer in both wins last week and helped the team to its first 2-0 SEC start since the 2009-10 season.
The Gators defeated Mississippi State, 82-72, on Jan. 2, before knocking off No. 6 Kentucky, 83-73, in Lexington on Jan. 5.
A quick summary of Bonds’ week:
· She averaged 20.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists while hitting 52.2 percent (12-23) from the floor, including a 2-of-4 effort from the three-point arc, and an 83.3 percent (15-18) clip from the free throw line.
· Her week was highlighted by a game-high 23 points in the upset win on the road against No. 6 Kentucky that snapped a six-game losing streak to the Wildcats.
· Instrumental in guiding Florida to its seventh and eighth consecutive wins, while snapping a nine-game skid versus nationally-ranked teams and a six-game skid against Kentucky.
· The Gator’s win against the Wildcats marked UF’s first win against a nationally-ranked since March 17, 2012, when the squad topped No. 16 Ohio State, 70-65, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
· The win was UF’s first over a top-10 ranked team since Feb. 26, 2006, when the Gators shocked then-No. 5 Tennessee, 95-93 in overtime, in Knoxville.
· In the win against Mississippi State, Bonds became the 11th Gator in program history to record 100 three-pointers.
· Bonds recorded her sixth 20-point game of the season
· During the game vs. Kentucky, Bonds scored in double-figures for the 13th time this year; 69th time in career; fourth straight game
· Bonds started the 99th game of her career; as well as her 85th straight start
Florida (12-3, 2-0 SEC) returns to action on Thu., January 9, when the Gators play host to Arkansas (14-1, 1-1 SEC) in the O’Connell Center beginning at 7 p.m. ET.
- Gator Women's Hoops Keeps Rolling
- Gator Hoops Has No Trouble Rolling Rollins
- Gator Roundup: Men's Tennis Keeps Rolling, Women's Tennis Falters, Softball Team Remains Unbeaten
- Gator Women's Hoops Top Hatters
- Gator Women's Hoops Complete Season Sweep of Kentucky
- Gator Women's Hoops Down Miss. St in SEC Opener
- Christin Mercer Suspended Indefinitely From Gator Women Hoops
- Both Gator Men and Women Hoops Win
- Gator Women Hoops Down Tennessee State
- Gator Women Hoops Prepare for Georgetown