Gator Women Tennis Sweep UCF
GAINESVILLE-For the first time in program history, the Florida women’s tennis team hosted a dual match that was played from start to finish indoors, as frigid temperatures forced Wednesday’s action inside the Perry Indoor Tennis Facility.
The change in venue didn’t alter the focus of the second-ranked Gators, who captured the doubles point in 26 minutes and the clinched the dual match victory 73 minutes later en route to a 7-0 sweep against UCF.
Senior Sofie Oyen provided the clincher with her 6-2, 6-1 victory at the number three position, after fellow seniorsOlivia Janowicz and Alexandra Cercone took care of business on courts one and three with scores of 6-3, 6-0 and 6-1, 6-1, respectively.
UF’s three freshmen then took to the singles courts, where Belinda Woolcock, Kourtney Keegan and Stefani Stojic lost a combined five games to complete the team sweep.
· Wednesday’s victory extended UF’s overall home win streak to 124.
· The 124-match win streak, which includes 21 postseason victories, is the longest active home streak of any NCAA Division I women’s team in any sport
· The Gators also won their 127th consecutive regular-season home match.
Numbers of Note
· UF improved to 197-33 all-time against instate opponents.
· The win was UF’s 19th consecutive against other teams in the state of Florida.
· The Gators are now 12-0 versus UCF.
· Senor Alexandra Cercone defeated Caroline Eberhart, 6-1, 6-1, and earned the 99th singles win of her career.
· Cercone is on pace to become the 26th Gator to reach the singles-win milestone.
· Olivia Janowicz was the last Gator to win 100 singles matches, doing so on Oct. 12, 2013.
· Olivia Janowicz won her 17th consecutive singles dual match, dating back to last season.
· Janowicz played and won at a career-high No. 1 spot in the singles lineup. She played the No. 1 position over the weekend, but didn’t not finish her match.
· Alexandra Cercone earned her second-ever win playing a career-high No. 2 position (also played No. 2 spot last year).
· Wednesday’s match was the first time the Gator women’s team has started and finished a dual match in Perry Indoor Tennis Facility, where play was first available in January of 2013.
· UF played the final three singles matches of last year’s dual match against Stanford due to rain.
Next Gator Match:
· The Gators play their first road match of the season, traveling to Waco, Texas, to face No. 19 Baylor on Saturday afternoon.
Quotes from the Court:
“I thought we were much sharper today than we were in our last match. It looked like we were more comfortable competing. I thought we had been hitting the ball very well in practice before last weekend, but we weren’t as comfortable competing. Today, we brought both. In all the close games, it seemed like all of them went our way. We were much more comfortable competing and hitting today.” – UF head coach Roland Thornqvist on the match
“We couldn’t have played outdoors today in 39-degree weather. This is a fantastic venue. We’ve enjoyed practicing in here during the morning when the temperature has been in the 30s. The lighting is world-class so I felt like our players felt comfortable playing in here. It’s important for our players to play indoors. We really needed to play matches after the way we performed last weekend so that’s why today was so important for us.” – Thornqvist on the importance of having an indoor facility
UCF at No. 2 Florida
Perry Indoor Tennis Facility * Gainesville, Fla.
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
FINAL SCORE: Florida 7, UCF 0
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 3*)
1. Sofie Oyen/Belinda Woolcock (32), UF vs. Sofia Baptista/Cortney Cesarini, UCF 3-2 DNF
2. Olivia Janowicz/Kourtney Keegan, UF d. Caroline Eberhart/Annika Hepp, UCF 6-1 (:25)
3. Alexandra Cercone/Stefani Stojic, UF d. Josephine Haraldson/Clare Mendell, UCF* (:26)
Singles (order of finish: 1, 2, 3*, 5, 4, 6)
1. Olivia Janowicz (17), UF d. Josephine Haraldson, UCF, 6-3, 6-0 (:55)
2. Alexandra Cercone (23), UF d. Caroline Eberhart, UCF 6-1, 6-1 (1:06)
3. Sofie Oyen (27), UF d. Cortney Cesarini, UCF 6-2, 6-1* (1:13)
4. Kourtney Keegan (39), UF d. Sofia Baptista, UCF 6-1, 6-2 (1:08)
5. Belinda Woolcock (T36), UF d. Clare Mendell, UCF 6-1, 6-0 (:47)
6. Stefani Stojic, UF d. Annika Hepp, UCF 6-1, 6-0 *(1:08)
*clinched doubles/dual match point
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s tennis:
Official Website: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/
Twitter: @GatorZoneTennis and @GatorZoneNews
- Florida Women's Tennis Sweeps Opening Round of NCAA Championships
- UF Tennis: Men fall to Ole Miss; Women Sweep Elon
- Gator Roundup: Men's Tennis Keeps Rolling, Women's Tennis Falters, Softball Team Remains Unbeaten
- Lacroix Gets Over 200 Career Victories as Both Gator Tennis Teams Sweep Vanderbilt 7-0
- Gator Womens and Mens Tennis Teams Advance in NCAA's
- Gator Women's Tennis Avenges Loss/ Advances to Sweet 16
- Gator Women's Tennis Down Missouri
- Gator Women Have Big Sunday: Softball and Tennis Both Win
- Gator Women's Tennis Team Loses To Stanford In NCAA Semis
- Gator Women's Tennis Blanks Marist in First Round of NCAA Tournament