Santa Fe Women Fall to Daytona State
Gainesville, FL – The Daytona State College Falcons pulled away down the stretch against the Santa Fe Saints to win their first Mid-Florida Conference game of the season. The loss moves SF to 6-12 on the year and 1-2 in MFC play.
Stephanie Ball did her part offensively for the Saints, scoring 20 points, including five three pointers. Unfortunately the rest of the Santa Fe offense struggled to get going and the Saints shot just 30% (18-for-60) from the field and 20% (5-for-25) from the three point line.
Both teams started slow offensively and SF took a 24-22 lead into the locker room. In the second half the Falcons took over on the boards and forged ahead 45-41 with three minutes to go on the strength of the inside play of Stephanie Ratliff and Chelsy Springs, both of whom had six offensive rebounds each.
“Our post players didn’t play very well and theirs did,” said SF Coach Chanda Stebbins. “We have to do a better job pursuing the ball. They seemed to want the ball more at times and out hustled us for some boards, especially on the offensive end.”
Santa Fe was not able to make up the deficit at the end of the game and scored just 10 points over the final 8:30 of the game. Daytona hit just enough free throws through the final minutes to secure the nine point victory.
“We took too many outside shots today,” said Stebbins. “We didn’t attack and never were able to get into a rhythm offensively.”
Ball led all scorers with 20 points, Jaquasha Sesler had 10 points and seven rebounds, and Tori Baggett scored eight.
The Saints travel to Hillsborough CC on Wednesday, January 15 for a MFC matchup against the Hawks at 6:00 PM.
- Gator Women's Basketball Falls, Santa Fe College Wins
- Santa Fe College Men's Hoops Wins, Women Fall Wednesday Night
- Santa Fe College Women Hoops Fall to Tallahassee CC
- Santa Fe College Hoops: Men and Women Fall on Saturday
- College of Central Florida Women's Basketball Downs Santa Fe
- Santa Fe College To Add Women's Volleyball In 2014
- Santa Fe College Men and Women Hoops Win on Wednesday
- Santa Fe Women Win, Men See Season Come to an End
- Gator Women's Hoops Falls to LSU
- Gator Women's Hoops Falls to Still-Perfect Bulldogs