Santa Fe Men Win at Central Florida for First Time Since 2008
Ocala, FL – Morris Marshall was again key off the bench for the Santa Fe Saints as he followed up Saturday’s 28 point performance with a 23 point effort against the College of Central Florida in the 67-51 Santa Fe victory. The win pulls SF (19-7, 3-3 MFC) even with the Patriots (20-7, 3-3 MFC) in the Mid-Florida Conference standings. They now both sit one and a half games behind Daytona State (21-4, 4-1 MFC) for first place.
“Great job by our guys tonight,” said SF Coach Chris Mowry. “We played really hard and unselfishly. Central Florida is a really talented team and presented some problems for us with their ability to drive the ball to the basket. I thought our guys fought their tails off in the paint and did a super job on the defensive end.”
The Saints didn’t start the game off the way they would have liked, failing to score a field goal over the first four and a half minutes as they trailed 7-1 in the early going. Marshall broke the ice, nailing three three pointers and Jon Hood added another to start a 25-6 rally that pulled Santa Fe ahead 26-13.
SF continued to apply pressure defensively and stretched the lead out to 42-21 at the break. Marshall had 18 points in the first half to lead all scorers.
In the second half CF never got closer than 15 as the Saints held on to pick up the big MFC victory. Reggie Hart had two key steals and break away dunks to stop two CF rallies and end any chance of a comeback.
Marshall wasn’t the only Santa Fe bench player to make a big impact, Josh Huntley also made a major contribution, finishing with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Reggie Hart had 13 points on 4-of-5 shooting and was 5-of-6 from the free throw line.
“We had a lot of guys make big contributions tonight,” Mowry said. “Morris has been playing very well of late and continued with another good game tonight. Reggie had some big steals in the second half and Josh worked really hard inside against a big Patriots team.”
The Saints will return home for a big MFC matchup against Daytona State College on Saturday at 4:00 PM.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr Wins First Sprint Cup Race Since 2008
- College of Central Florida Basketball Team Wins NJCAA Championship
- College of Central Florida Baseball Gets Win Over Santa Fe
- Gator Baseball Sweeps Ole Miss, First Time Since 2002
- Gators Advance In NCAA Tourney For First Time Since 06-07 National Title Team
- Gator Mens Track and Field Win 1st SEC Indoor Title Since '04
- Last Second Shot for Lady Saints Doesn't Fall, Lose to Lady Patriots 63-62
- Florida Waxes Kentucky 38-0, First SEC Shutout Since 2001
- Gator Roundup: Men's Basketball Stunned in Arizona, Women Get First Road Win, Football Adds Another Recruit
- Santa Fe Women Win, Men See Season Come to an End