Gator Softball and Lacrosse Cruise to Victory on Tuesday
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Gator Softball defeated Central Connecticut State 8-2 on Tuesday (March 18) at Katie Seashole Pressly Softball Stadium in the teams' first-ever meeting. Senior Hannah Rogers (Lake Wales, Fla.) pitched 4.1 innings of no-hit ball with a walk and a strikeout to improve to 12-2 on the season.
Both teams went scoreless in the first two frames before the Orange and Blue (29-2) got on the board with an RBI triple from Kelsey Stewart (Wichita, Kan.) that plated Justine McLean (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.).
The Gators' offense erupted for five runs in the fourth. The action began when Kirsti Merritt (Lake Panasoffkee, Fla.) and Taylor Schwarz (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) hit back-to singles to set up a three-run home run by Taylore Fuller (Trenton, Fla.) that increased the UF lead to 4-0. Florida's outburst continued when Stephanie Tofft (Lincoln, Calif.) reached on an errant throw that pulled the CCSU first baseman off the bag, allowing McLean and Stewart to come home.
Freshman Delanie Gourley (Lakeside, Calif.) replaced Rogers in the circle in the fifth inning, and continued to shut down the Blue Devil offense. Meanwhile, junior Bailey Castro (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) added another run for the Gators with a solo home run in the bottom of the frame that pushed the lead to seven.
The Blue Devils got a pair of runs in the sixth on a two-run double before Chelsea Herndon (Carrollton, Texas) hit a leadoff triple in the bottom of the inning, setting up an RBI single from Tofft that produced the final margin in the Gators' 8-2 win.
- Florida Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse Finish Tuesday 3-0
- Gator Softball Beats Auburn 3-1, Lacrosse and Tennis Teams Also Victorious
- Gator Lacrosse Picks Up Win Over Dartmouth
- Burleigh Reaches 400 Wins, Gator Soccer Cruises to NCAA Tourney Victory; Gator Volleyball Back on Track with Three-Set Sweep Over Missouri
- Gator Basketball Cruises to Victory Over Ole Miss
- FSU, Florida Combine for 22 Runs in Gator Victory
- Gator Lacrosse Gets 1st NCAA Tournament Victory, 13-11 Winners Over Stanford
- High School Sports around North Central Florida: Tuesday January 8 Edition
- Gator Softball Cruises in NCAA Tourney Opener
- Saturday Sweeps! Gator Softball Posts Shutout Victories Over Gardner-Webb, Tennessee State