Taylor Gushue is the Third Gator to Sign a Pro Contract
Published June 13th, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Catcher Taylor Gushue became the third member of the 2014 Gator baseball team to sign a professional contract when he came to terms with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He had been chosen in the fourth round with the 131st overall pick and will forgo his final year of eligibility at the University of Florida.
A second-team All-American by Louisville Slugger and a first-team All-SEC selection, Gushue batted a career-high .316 and led the Gators in total bases (105), RBI (49), doubles (16), sacrifice flies (11), homers (6) and slugging percentage (.467). The Johnny Bench Award semifinalist for the nation’s top catcher paced the SEC in conference games with a .389 clip and was the runner-up in slugging percentage (.583) and on-base percentage (.449). Gushue was named the SEC Player of the Week on May 19 after going 7-for-11 (.636) in the series victory at Tennessee that clinched the SEC Championship.
In 2013, he was one of the three Gators to start all 59 games. The Boca Raton native had a .269 batting average, led UF with 33 RBI and tied for the team lead in both homers (5) and triples (2). Gushue was second on the team with 17 multiple-hit efforts and tied for the most multiple-RBI games with seven.
During his rookie campaign, Gushue appeared in 52 games and made 39 starts (28-1B, 6-DH, 5-C). He batted .206 with 23 walks, 21 RBI, 21 runs, eight doubles and five homers and was the only Gator chosen as the SEC’s Freshman of the Week twice during the season (Feb. 20, March 5).
Over his three years wearing the Orange and Blue, Gushue played in 173 games and had a career average of .274, with 103 RBI, 78 runs, 37 doubles and 16 homers.
- Future, Current Gators Drafted on Day Two of MLB Draft
- Florida Baseball Takes 5-1 Win over UCF
- Florida Baseball Falls to Golf Coast Despite Run in 8th
- Florida's Crawford, Gators Commit Danish Selected in 1st 2 Rounds of MLB Draft
- Florida Escapes Against East Carolina 31-24
- Four More Gators Drafted in MLB Draft
- Four Gators Selected Over Final Two Days of MLB Draft
- Greg Larson Final Gator Selected in MLB Draft, Other Notable Mentions
- Many Gators Taken on Day 2 of MLB Draft
- Florida Baseball Takes Two From Georgia in Double Header