Florida Folk Festival
Published May 24th, 2014
It's a taste of old Florida in the Modern age. TV 20's Lericia Harris was in White Springs today for the Florida Folk Festival and shows us why people keep coming back.
Music, heritage, legends.
"We're celebrating Florida and why we love it," said park specialist Andrea Thomas.
The 62nd Florida Folk Festival was named a "Top 20 Event" by the Southeast Tourism Society and it brings all of Florida's music, arts, and culture right here to North Central Florida. With 14 performing stages, hiking trails, a children's area and various workshops, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Lericia Harris asked Camden Flint, son of a folk festival participant Daniel Flint, "what are some things you've done?" Camden replied, "Dinosaurs."
"Did you make a dinosaur," said Lericia and Camden said "yes."
Event members say the festival typically draws a crowd of 17 to 20 thousand people in a three day period. This year's event is expected to surpass the mark from previous years.
The Florida Folk Festival is the oldest continuous folk festival in the nation. Each participant, musician, and vendor all have some significant tie to the state of Florida.
Gainesville resident Tom Shed has participated in the festival for over 25 years. After auditioning and earning a spot in the program as a young boy, Shed has been able to share his passion for the sunshine state through song ever since. "This is what kept me grounded. I could get in touch with the roots of the sunshine state, the history, and understand how to write songs about history..." said Shed.
Known to some folk music loving Floridians as the best three day party in America, the folk festival will continue its grand tradition of celebration until Sunday evening.
- 62nd Florida Folk Festival This Weekend
- Florida Folk Festival Celebrates 58 Years Of Fun!
- 61st Annual Florida Folk Festival
- Florida Folk Festival 2012
- 59th Annual Florida Folk Festival
- Florida Folk Festival puts state history, culture in the spotlight
- 57th Annual Florida Folk Festival
- Sunshine Festival Celebrates Florida History
- Florida Sheep, Wool and Herding Dog Festival
- Local Farm Celebrates Butterflies at Florida Monarch Festival