GRAPEVINE, Texas (AP) - North Texas police officials say a fugitive Florida prisoner was fatally shot early Saturday when he refused to cooperate and lunged at officers.
Alberto Morales was shot in a wooded area of Grapevine, a community near the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. It put an end to a massive five-day manhunt that started when he escaped from a Wal-Mart parking lot after stabbing a detective with his eyeglasses.
Grapevine Police Sgt. Robert Eberling said at a Saturday news conference that officers instructed Morales to lay on the ground and show his hands, but he rushed toward them.
Eberlin says investigators believe Morales had been planning his escape for some time.
Morales escaped while he was being transported to Nevada to serve a sentence of 30 years to life for sexual assault.
- Texas Authorities Searching for Escaped Prisoner
- Kidnapped Florida Woman Escapes Abductors in Mississippi
- Gorillas Escape Kansas City Zoo
- Two Escaped Inmates Caught
- Escaped Inmate Caught
- Appeals court hears case over kosher food in Florida prisons
- Arizona Prison Ends Fight Involving 400 Inmates
- Atlanta Man Faces Life In Prison
- Obama to Visit Florida Over the Weekend
- Woman Caught After Escaping from Jail