Bartow Man Gets Life in Prison for Burning Father
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida man has been sentenced to life in prison without parole for burning his father to death.
Prosecutors had been seeking the death penalty for Ronald Wayne Harris Jr.
One of Harris' attorneys, Julia Williamson, tells The Ledger that Harris has a history of mental health issues. Williamson says Harris' 58-year-old father had come to Polk County from Maryland to help his son.
Authorities say the men were arguing on Aug. 22, 2010, when Harris splashed a mixture of bleach and gasoline on his father's chest and face and then set him on fire.
Williamson says Harris did not want to take the case to trial. Harris pleaded guilty to first-degree arson and first-degree murder. He was sentenced Monday to life imprisonment.
- Man Faces 15 Years For Stepson's Fatal Beating
- Man Gets Life Sentence For Fatal Robbery
- Convicted Pa. Abortion Doctor Gets Life in Prison
- Man Could Receive Life in Prison
- Atlanta Man Faces Life In Prison
- Man Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Woman Sentenced To Life In Prison For Accident Involving Officer
- Man Gets 4 Consecutive Life Sentences for Murder
- Man Gets Life For Fatal Home Invasion
- Man Sentenced To Prison for Killing Professor