Church Parking Death
DEERFIELD, Fla. (AP) - A 66-year-old Florida woman has died after she was struck by a vehicle driven by an elderly fellow churchgoer following Mass in Deerfield Beach.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as Luciana Porto of Deerfield Beach.
The sheriff's office said in a press release that 88-year-old Mary Sczepanski of Lighthouse Point accidentally placed her 2007 Buick Century in reverse from a disabled parking space after Mass on Sunday morning at St. Ambrose Catholic Church. The car accelerated and struck a curb stop. Startled, the driver accelerated over the curb stop and onto the sidewalk, unaware a pedestrian was there, and struck Porto.
Porto was transported to North Broward Medical Center where she was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Investigators do not believe medications were a factor. Charges, if any, will be pending completion of the traffic investigation.
- Wild Waters park robbed during closing weekend
- 21 Injured In Church Car Crash
- Body of Missing Worker Found in Collapsed Miami Parking Garage
- Death Warrant Issued for Askari Abdullah Muhammad
- Spring Break Death
- Panhandle River Drowning Deaths
- Woman faces 30 Years for Hit and Run Death
- Florida Teen Graffiti Artist's Death Caused By Taser: Family Wants Justice
- Miami Woman Charged In Connection To Toddler Daycare Drowning Death
- Anti-Death Penalty Supporters Remember Executed Man