Haircut for little Jalen
Published March 20th, 2012
One ocala hair salon is putting extra hours to help a North Central Florida boy on the road to recovery.
Wcjb tv-20's chris gilmore has more on how a handful of haircuts is becoming much more.
"...Ok, I'll take care of you."
Manager of "Reflexions of You," hair salon, Shari Wilson is working harder than usual today, but you still can't wipe the smile off of her face. Shari and two other hairdressers are clipping cutting and conditioning...for free.
"It's really the only thing that I could think of that I could do realistically. It's what I do for a living, so i knew I could make money for the family going this route."
A hundred percent of the money made today will go directly towards 7-year old Jalen Hajal and his family.
In january of this year Jalen was diagnosed with stage 4 medulla blastoma, a form of brain cancer.
They are in Houston, TX receiving a proton radiation treatment, which will be followed by chemo in Orlando.
with the family's medical bills and anxiety running high, the salon owner decided to help.
"Every little bit helps, people have come up to me with $2 and they don't have any money themselves, but they're helping and that's all that matters, it's been wonderful."
Normally businesses on this street aren't open on sundays, but reflexions managers and employees say that as long as people continue coming in support of Jalen, they'll keep accepting customers."
Even those who couldn't make it out to the salon today plan on supporting Jalen in their own special way.
"And he's starting to lose his hair now, and as a sign of support all the men in the family will have their heads shaved."
According to family members about $3500 has been raiseD all in support of little Jalen, reminding Wilson why she is so proud of her city.
"Ocala's amazing, it's probably one of the most giving community's I've ever seen. That's why I like calling Ocala home, everybody's wonderful here. There've been other events and everyone has been just as supportive. and that's the way Ocala works, we roll with it."
Putting in the extra hours of work to ensure that Jalen can keep rolling with his journey.
- School Grades May Not Reflect Grades Actually Earned
- Florida Governor And Legislators Pay Little For Insurance
- Ocala "Hair-a-thon," in Support of Boy Fighting Cancer
- "Little Jake" and a Little Bit of History
- The Affordable Care Act: What You Need To Know
- Hurricane Season Sales Tax Holiday: What You Should Know
- "Thank You" From Trayvon Martin's Family
- Reflections of Florida Landscapes Arrive at Appleton Museum
- Martin Luther King Jr. Reflection
- Gainesville City Attorney Recommends Revising Ordinances to Reflect Fuel Adjustment Practices