BUSHNELL, Fla. (AP) - Detectives in central Florida are investigating as a hate crime the vandalism of Jewish headstones in a veterans' cemetery.
Sumter County Sheriff's Office detectives started their investigation into what happened to the headstones on Monday. Several headstones in two sections of the Florida National Cemetery were found pushed over or dug out last weekend.
The headstones were identified as Jewish by the Stars of David on them.
The Florida National Cemetery is run by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- George Zimmerman "Stand Your Ground" Hearing
- Fla. Man Charged With Stealing Headstone Vases
- New Baseball Spring Training Initiative
- South Florida High Speed Car Chase
- Deadliest Days for Teen Drivers
- Jewish Holiday Begins Tonight
- "Mitzvah Day" Jewish Council Gives Back
- Security Increased At NY Jewish Synagogues
- Suspect in Jewish School Massacre in Standoff With Police
- Stabbing at Florida State Dorm