MIAMI (AP) - Seventeen years ago, 35-year-old Lynne Friend disappeared shortly after winning a contentious child custody battle with her ex-husband.
Her body was never recovered, but the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported Thursday that a grand jury has indicted 56-year-old Clifford Friend for the first-degree murder of his ex-wife.
Lynne Friend's father, Ben Allen, told the newspaper her husband was the prime suspect from the beginning.
Records show Friend was upset his ex-wife planned to leave Florida with their son Christian, then 5.
Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle says U.S. Customs agents saw Friend and a companion throw something from a motorboat into the Atlantic Ocean the night Lynne Friend vanished.
She says investigators recently found additional evidence which allowed the case to be brought before the grand jury.
- 15-Year-Old Student Stabbed By 11-Year-Old
- Tan Mom Won't Be Indicted
- Two Arrested For Beating 83 Year Old Man
- 5-Year-Old Sees Mother Get Shot By Father
- Man Accused of Sexually Abusing 3 Year Old
- 12-Year-Old Miami Gardens Girl Killed by Stray Bullet
- 100 Year Old Woman Becomes American Citizen
- "Hiccup Girl" Convicted of Murder Seeks Retrial
- Attempted Murder Suspect Shot by Police
- Hernandez Arraignment Set After Murder Indictment