KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - Officials say this year's spiny lobster season is one of the best on record in a decade.
Preliminary figures from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission show fishermen have harvested 5.5 million pounds of spiny lobster. Nearly 6 million pounds were harvested in the previous season.
The Key West Citizen reports numbers for both years are considerably higher than the 4 million pounds harvested in 2009-10.
Lobster prices have increased, and traps have been spared from any tropical storms or hurricanes, spelling more good luck for fishermen.
The newspaper reports a booming spiny lobster market in China and in other Asian countries has also created a favorable market for fishermen in the Florida Keys.
- Sustainable Lobster
- Extra-Large Lobster
- 50th Annual Fine Arts Festival in Cedar Key This Weekend
- 62nd Florida Folk Festival This Weekend
- Obama to Visit Florida Over the Weekend
- UF Beefs up Security Football Gameday Weekend
- Tow to Go Program Up and Running for Holiday Weekend
- Advisory of Strong Rip Currents This Weekend
- Gainesville Residents Cleaning Up After Severe Weekend Weather
- Chiefland Watermelon Festival This Weekend