NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - A man Collier County authorities say tried to smuggle six illegal immigrants from Texas to Miami has been arrested on human smuggling charges.
An arrest report shows 49-year-old Armando Valdes-Rodriguez was stopped Thursday afternoon because he was speeding. The deputy who pulled over the car noted that the driver was "extremely nervous and shaking uncontrollably."
The six passengers in the car told deputies they were travelling for work. One of them was a 13-year-old boy who was later reunited with his family. The other five remain in custody.
Agents with the Department of Homeland Security responded to the scene.
No further information was immediately available Saturday.
- Haitians in Custody after Failed Smuggling Attempt
- Gainesville Man Charged With Smuggling Dinosaur Fossils Released on Bail
- 50th Annual Fine Arts Festival in Cedar Key This Weekend
- 62nd Florida Folk Festival This Weekend
- Arrest Made at Ocala Nightclub
- Fugitive Arrest
- Man With Eight Aliases Has Been Arrested
- Two Felons Arrested Thanks to Facebook Picture
- Levy Arson Arrests
- 44 Arrested In Major Prostitution Sting