Bibles and Booze Mix Sunday Mornings at Iconic Bar
PERDIDO KEY, Fla. (AP) - Bloody Marys and bathing suits mingle at a unique Sunday service on the Alabama and Florida state line.
Worship at the Water is held at the Flora-Bama Lounge, Package and Oyster Bar, a rowdy roadhouse that straddles the border on the beach. Bible study is held in the upstairs bar.
It's a year-old outreach service of nearby Perdido Bay United Methodist Church.
A founding pastor, Jack de Jarnette, says it's the sort of place where Jesus went to hang out with the people. He says when you can't get people to church, bring church to them.
Church member Paul Holland says he loves the service because he isn't worried about being judged by whether he wears a nice suit or drives a nice car.
- Evidence Mixed for Zimmerman's Self-defense Claim
- Sex Sting Puts Seven Men Behind Bars
- Behind Bars For Death Threats
- Gainesville Man Behind Bars After Stabbing a Woman
- Ocala Woman Behind Bars For Killing Her Husband
- Gainesville Man Behind Bars for Stabbing Woman
- Woman is Behind Bars After Fighting With her 14 Year Old Daughter
- Music Icon Dies
- Local GIrl Goes to National Bible Bee
- High Springs 5th Grader Heads To Bible Bee