Civil War Era Cannonballs Discovered in Pensacola Beach
Published September 13th, 2012
PENSACOLA - Beach goers in Pensacola found nine Civil War era cannonballs, and it is all thanks to Hurricane Issac.
It seems the storm caused the cannonballs to wash ashore.
An explosive ordinance disposal team was brought in to check them out.
The team determined they were safe after they looked inside the metal shells and found no explosives.
The Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southeast took possession of the cannonballs.
They will be cleaned and coated with a substance that will help keep them from further degrading.
- Civil War Re-enactment Incident
- US Postal Service Releases 2 New Civil War Stamps
- Main Players in Syria's Civil War
- Arrests Made in Pensacola Carjacking
- Missing Man's Kayak Washes Up in Pensacola
- WWII Era Bomb Recovered In Keys
- Southern Baptists Debate Gay vs. Civil Rights
- Anthony Civil Case to Go to Trial Early Next Year
- Top Beaches
- Fla. Lifeguard Fired for Rescue Outside Beach Zone