Land O' Lakes Inmate Punched
LAND O'LAKES, Fla. - Authorities say a Tampa Bay area jail deputy will be fired after he allegedly punched an inmate in the jail medical ward.
The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that 45-year-old Philip Bruce Walters grabbed the inmate by the neck and punched him in the head on Christmas night. It's unclear what prompted to alleged attack. Witnesses said the inmate was not aggressive.
The inmate grabbed Walter's two-way radio during the brawl and called for help. Deputies said the inmate had a bruise on his forehead and scrapes on his neck.
Walters first denied the beating, then said the inmate was aggressive.
He was charged with battery and booked into the same jail where he worked.
The sheriff's office said he was being fired Wednesday.
- Eastside's Boys Soccer Run Comes to an End, Fall 5-0 to Land O' Lakes
- Man Arrested for Cashing Checks in Jail Inmates' Names
- Former Bradford County Coach Serving Time in One- Punch Death
- Lake City Man Arrested for Sexual Battery on a Child
- Marion County Jail Inmate Dies In Custody
- Gilchrist County Jail Inmate Dies Two Days After Fight with Cellmate
- The Budget Impacts Staff and Inmates at the Alachua County Jail
- Inmates at the Alachua County Jail Are Using Their "Time" Wisely
- UPDATE: Inmate Captured....Deputies Search for Jail Escapee
- Inmates Fight Stats in Marion County Jail