Land O' Lakes Inmate Punched
LAND O'LAKES, Fla. - Authorities say a Tampa Bay area jail deputy will be fired after he allegedly punched an inmate in the jail medical ward.
The Pasco County Sheriff's Office reports that 45-year-old Philip Bruce Walters grabbed the inmate by the neck and punched him in the head on Christmas night. It's unclear what prompted to alleged attack. Witnesses said the inmate was not aggressive.
The inmate grabbed Walter's two-way radio during the brawl and called for help. Deputies said the inmate had a bruise on his forehead and scrapes on his neck.
Walters first denied the beating, then said the inmate was aggressive.
He was charged with battery and booked into the same jail where he worked.
The sheriff's office said he was being fired Wednesday.
- Eastside's Boys Soccer Run Comes to an End, Fall 5-0 to Land O' Lakes
- Pregnant Mother Who Drove Van Of Kids Into Ocean Now Accused Of Punching Self In Stomach While Jailed
- Jail to Allow Inmates Access to Email
- Man Arrested for Cashing Checks in Jail Inmates' Names
- Man Indicted in Sexual Battery in Girl's Death
- Former Bradford County Coach Serving Time in One- Punch Death
- Florida man faces prison for punching federal officer
- Lake City Man Arrested for Sexual Battery on a Child
- Marion County Jail Inmate Dies In Custody
- Gilchrist County Jail Inmate Dies Two Days After Fight with Cellmate