Man Sentenced To Prison For Drunk Driving
BROOKSVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa Bay area man has been sentenced to 11 years in prison for a drunken driving crash that left his friend dead.
A Hernando County judge sentenced 33-year-old Mikell Begley on Thursday after he pleaded no contest to DUI manslaughter.
Authorities say Begley had spent the afternoon drinking with a co-worker - 46-year-old Gary Ziegler - at a Spring Hill bar in April. Shortly after the men left, Begley lost control of the car after swerving to avoid hitting a Hernando County deputy's car. The car flipped, and then hit a fire hydrant and a tree. Ziegler died, and Begley was seriously injured.
Tests showed that Begley's blood-alcohol level after the crash was 0.121 and 0.125 percent. Florida law considers a driver impaired at 0.08.
- Man Sentenced To Prison for Killing Professor
- Fla. Teen Cited For DUI For Driving Golf Cart Drunk
- Man Sentenced For Killing Ex-Girlfriend
- Gainesville Man Sentenced To 150 Months In Prison
- Man Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Woman Sentenced To Life In Prison For Accident Involving Officer
- Man Charged With Killing Girl, 4, Receives Life Sentence
- North Florida Man in Jail After Riding His Horse While Drunk
- Senate Kills Prison Privatization Bill
- Bartow Man Gets Life in Prison for Burning Father