KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - The curtain has risen for a classic holiday ballet, reinterpreted to feature Key West's seafaring history and coral reef.
"Nutcracker Key West" stars professional dancers including Natalia Ashikhmina, formerly with the Russian National Ballet, alongside Florida Keys children.
The production gives a subtropical twist to the tale of young Clara's visit to the Sugarplum Fairy. Dancers portray snowy egrets, sea fans, "jewels" from a Spanish galleon shipwrecked off Key West and a conch shell.
The Key West production was created by Joyce Stahl, who performed "The Nutcracker" with New Jersey's American Repertory Ballet for 38 years. Stahl has dedicated the show to the children and families impacted by the Connecticut school shooting.
It runs through Saturday at the Tennessee Williams Theatre.
- 50th Annual Fine Arts Festival in Cedar Key This Weekend
- Coast Guard looking for 4 missing boaters off Key West
- Cedar Key hosts annual spring arts festival this weekend
- Cedar Key readies for tropical storm landing
- Key West Flights
- Florida Keys Man Charged with Threating Officials
- Dealing with Depression
- West Nile Virus Found in Alachua County
- Police Find New Evidence On Aguilar's Case
- 62nd Florida Folk Festival This Weekend