Death toll adjusted down to 24 in Moore, OK by medical examiner; warns it will go up.
Paul Howell Set to be Executed
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Gov. Rick Scott has signed a death warrant for a man convicted killing a Florida state trooper.
The governor's office announced Friday that 47-year-old Paul Augustus Howell is scheduled to die by lethal injection at Florida State Prison near Raiford at 6 p.m., Feb. 26.
Trooper Jimmy Fulford was blown apart when he opened a booby-trapped package during a routine traffic stop on Interstate 10 in February 1992. The pipe bomb, hidden in a gift-wrapped microwave oven, was intended to kill two women in Marianna because they knew too much about a drug-related murder in 1991. The death led to federal and state investigations that exposed a drug trafficking ring based in South Florida.
Howell was convicted of building the bomb and sentenced to death in 1995.
- Justice John Paul Stevens Views on Death Penalty
- Child Killer Set to Be Executed
- Death Penalty Opponents Gather To Protest Latest Execution
- Maranda Martin Sentenced to Life in Prison for Murder of Paul Quandt Sr.
- Jury Finds Maranda Martin Guilty of 1st Degree Murder in the Death of Paul Quandt
- Governor Rick Scott Schedules Lethal Injection for Convicted Killer
- Florida Justices Deny Appeal For Trooper's Killer
- Florida Set To Resume Executions
- Paul Ryan Stops by The Villages
- Paul Supporters Say RNC is Blocking Festival Plans