Worker Dies At Panhandle Power Plant
SOUTHPORT, Fla. - Authorities say a worker died at a Florida Panhandle power plant.
The Bay County Sheriff's Office reports that Matthew VanWitzenberg was working at Gulf Power Co.'s Lansing Smith Steam Plant Wednesday when he apparently grabbed a live wire, sending 250,000 volts of electricity went through his body.
Investigators believe he died instantly.
Reports say that VanWitzenberg was an employee of Southern Electrical Company. The Tennessee man was working for Gulf Power as a subcontractor.
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration will investigate the death.
- 14 cats die in house fire in Florida's Panhandle
- Panhandle Boy Dies After Attack By Bulldogs
- Construction Worker Dies After Lightning Strike
- Shark Bites Boy In Florida Panhandle
- Man escapes from Florida Panhandle jail
- Florida Power and Light Co. Rates Increase
- Crystal River Power Plant is Reviewed
- Plans for a New Power Plant in Levy County
- Ocala's New Power Plant
- GRU Biomass Power Plant Contract Revealed