Two Tampa Bay Deputies Shoot Suspect Several Times
LARGO, Fla. (AP) - A man is hospitalized with life threatening injuries after being shot in a confrontation with two sheriff's deputies in the Tampa Bay area.
According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, deputies Steven Smith and Mark Douglas responded to a call about an armed man in Largo on Friday night.
The sheriff's office says the deputies attempted to stop the suspect's sport utility vehicle. The suspect got out of his vehicle and attempted to jump a nearby fence.
According to authorities, Smith and Douglas shot the suspect several times during a confrontation. Additional details about the confrontation were not immediately available Saturday.
The suspect was taken to a hospital with life threatening injuries. Neither Smith nor Douglas was injured.
The sheriff's office says both deputies will be placed on routine paid administrative leave.
- Suspect in Tampa Home Invasions, Assaults Caught
- House Catches Fire Twice in Two Days
- Two Men Sentenced in Marine Life Trafficking
- FHP Seeking Tips on Tampa Road Rage Incident
- Tampa Man Accused of Abusing, Killing 3-year-old
- Several Key Motions Set in Trayvon Martin Case
- Drug Bust Nabs Two Suspects and $405K
- Tampa Bay Quadruplets Come Home for Christmas
- Deputy Injured in Hit-and-Run Crash
- Deputies: Teen Kills Father in Domestic Dispute