Florida Man Gets Life For Strangling Girlfriend
BARTOW, Fla. - A central Florida man has been sentenced to life in prison for strangling his live-in girlfriend.
Prosecutors say 34-year-old Donald Failey Jr. had been out of work and stealing money from his girlfriend to buy cocaine in 2011 when an argument turned deadly. Prosecutors say he squeezed Tara Romonoski's neck with his hands and covered her head with a garbage bag secured by duct tape.
Jurors found him guilty of first-degree murder Tuesday after less than two hours of deliberation.
Prosecutors insisted Failey's act was premeditated, but his lawyers argued that Failey snapped in the heat of the argument and said there was no evidence of planning or time to reflect on his actions.
Prosecutors said scratches on Romonoski's neck indicate she fought back.
- Man Gets Life Sentence for Boy's Death
- Florida GOP Congressman Pleads Guilty to Cocaine Charge
- Bradenton Man Shot By Police After Holding Girlfriend Hostage
- Man Calls 911 To Keep Girlfriend From Leaving
- Man Gets Life For Fatal Home Invasion
- Judge Sends North Fla. Man to Prison for Life
- Florida Legislators Push for More Money to Schools
- Man Gets 25 Years for Killing Woman
- Man Who Killed Longest Python Gets its Snakeskin
- 'Hiccup Girl' on Trial on Murder Charge in Florida