Woman Gets 9 Years for Fatal Crash
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida woman has been sentenced to more than 9 years in prison for fatally striking a bicyclist.
A Polk County judge sentenced 36-year-old Tashica Smith on Wednesday. A jury found her guilty in April of vehicular homicide.
Authorities say 56-year-old James Galey was walking his bicycle and carrying a bag of groceries across U.S. 92 in Lakeland in June 2011 when Smith hit him with her Ford Escort. The Ledger (http://goo.gl/xbnHr ) reports that he was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died.
The sheriff's office reports that Smith was traveling more than 77 mph in a 45 mph zone and ran a red light.
- Man Gets 25 Years for Killing Woman
- Tampa Woman Gets 7 Years For Baby's Death
- Man Gets 40 Years For Fatal Home Invasion
- Fatal Motorcycle Crash
- Family of 6 Killed in Fatal Plane Crash
- Fatal Crash on South Florida Highway
- Man Gets Life Sentence For Fatal Robbery
- Man Faces 15 Years For Stepson's Fatal Beating
- Woman's Roof has Leaked for Three Years - Now She's Getting a New One
- Woman Killed in Boat Crash