1 Dead in Police-Involved Shooting in St. Pete
Published September 8th, 2013
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Six St. Petersburg police officers are on administrative leave after the fatal shooting of an armed man on a front porch.
Police spokesman Mike Puetz says officers were called twice to the neighborhood early Saturday after residents reported hearing gunshots and loud music. While on the scene a second time, officers heard a gunshot and saw an armed man standing on an enclosed front porch.
Puetz says the man initially responded to officers' commands to lower his weapon but then picked up a rifle that he pointed at the officers in his yard.
According to police, six officers fired at the man. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Police identified the man as Lealann Russell Melder Cooley.
Puetz says investigators found other weapons and ammunition in the man's house.
- Deadly I-4 Shooting Was a Case of "Mistaken Identity"
- Police: Gunman killed after shooting at FSU
- GPD Releases Report on 2007 Shooting Involving Hernandez
- 4 Llamas Involved in Car Crash on I-75
- 5 dead, 5 injured In Santa Monica Shooting
- Breaking: 3 Dead in Kentucky Condo Shooting
- Deadly Shooting at Los Angeles Int'l Airport
- Gunman Dead in Colorado School Shooting
- Police: Dead Boston Bombing Suspect Buried
- St. Petersburg Man Sentenced for Firearms, Drugs